Apple Marketing Mix
Apple, Inc originated from the friendship and mutual interests of Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs. The Two collaborated in the development of the “Apple I in the early 1970s. The Apple I was a step ahead of most computers of the time featuring a use of aTV as a display system and a cassette interface for recording programs. Would you like to take a lesson on the marketing mix?
After obtaining financing for the development of Apple II, the Apple Computer Company was formed in 1970.As the growth of home computer use grew, Apple grew with it. In 1980 the company issued its initial public offering of investment stock.
Apple next introduced the MacIntosh Computer in 1983 during the Super Bowl. The computers desktop publishing features provided the foundation for future innovations that have become standard for the company. Today Apple, Inc has more than 33,000 employees and revenues exceeding 42 million dollars.
- Portable Computers – including Mac products such as Mac Book Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, Xserve
- Servers – including Xserve, Xsan, MacOS X Ser, MobleMe.
- Accessories – including MagicMouse, Keyboard, Led Cinema Display.
- Wi-fi Based Stations - including Airport Express, Airport Extreme, Time Capsule.
- Developer – including Developer Connection, Mac Program, iPhone Program.
- iPod – including iPod Shuffle, iPod Nano, ipod Classic.
- iPhone – including iPhone3GS, iPhone3G, iPad.
- iTunes – including movies, TV shows, audio books, games.
- Periphal products – including Printers, Storage devices, digital videos and cameras.
- Apple is a premium brand computer that does not attempt to compete on price. The company has reduced prices after some initial product launches. It uses skimming and preimuim pricing strategies.
- The AppleiPad is priced at a minimum of $499.
- The Apple iPhone costs begin at $99.
- The Apple iPod Classic is priced starting at $249.
- The Apple iPod Nano costs $149.
- The Apple Mac Book costs $999.
- The Apple MacBook Pro is priced at $1199.
- The Apple Quicktime Pro for Windows costs $29.99
- Apples iPad pricing strategy includes the flexibility to lower the prices if consumer response dictates such action. This would be consistent with a similar $200 price cut on the iPhone in 2007.
- In 2009 Apple announced a reduced cost pricing structure for iTunes - songs will cost 69 cents, 99 cents or $1.29. He said the "vast majority" of the songs will cost 69 cents. Changes are said to be a response to a slower pace of music downloads.
- Apple, Inc Headquarters are located at is located at 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, California.
- The Apple Consultants Network includes independent professional service providers and technology consulting firms that specialize in Apple and third-party solutions. Certified on Apple technologies, these providers deliver on-site technology services and support to home users and businesses of all sizes.
- Apple service providers are certified technicians, who complete regular Apple training and assessments, and offer repair services, and exclusive access to genuine Apple parts.
- They are located in Asia/Pacific, Africa, the Middle East Europe and Latin America.
- Apple has over 200 retail stores worldwide including the US, UK and Canada. Apple recently opened a new retail store in Shanghai China.
- Apple, Inc offers special discounts on refurbished MacIntosh computers, iPod Nanos, and the 8GB iPod Touch. In each case a 1 year warranty is included on the all products.
- Apple, Inc authorized Training Centers are located throughout the U.S. each provides instruction in Mac systems, Mac OS X, and Apple’s professional applications. A wide range of certification exams and courses offer innovative learning opportunities for IT and creative professionals, educators, and service technicians—delivered exclusively by Apple Certified Trainers.
- The Apple Consultants Network website provides a search tool allowing visitors to locate nearby certified Mac product consultants in the U.S, Canada, and a number of international locations.
- The online Apple Store offers free shipping for orders over $50.
- The online Apple store offers iTunes gift cards.
- Apple provides a $100 rebate when you purchase a Mac or specific printers from the online store.
- Apple has packaged back-to-school offers, including some aimed at college students.
- Stephen P. Jobs is the Chief Executive Officer of the Executive Board at Apple, Inc
- Non Executive Board Directors include William V. Campbell, Millard S. Drexler, Albert Gore, Andrea Jung and Author D. Levinson.
- Key Senior Management team members include Timothy D. Cook, (COO), Scott Forestall, Jonathan Ivey, (Industrial Design), Ronald B Johnson (Retail), Robert Mansfield Mac Hardware Engineering), Peter Oppenhiemer (Chief Financial Officer), Mark Papermaster (Devices Hardware Engineering), Philip W. Schiller (Worldwide Marketing), Bertrand Serlet (Software Engineering), and D. Bruce Sewell (General Counsel).
- Some certified Apple service providers offer additional services beyond repairs and parts such as such as data transfer, data recovery, upgrade services, and onsite deployment and installation.
- Every Mac, iPod, iPhone, and display comes with complimentary telephone technical support for 90 days after your purchase and a one-year limited warranty. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your service coverage and gives you one-stop service and support from Apple experts.
- The AppleCare Professional Video Support gives you direct access to Apple's Professional Video Technical Support team via telephone and email 12 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Apple Inc’s main website is located at http://www.apple.com
- The Apple logo has evolved from its original depiction of Sir Isaac Newton under a tree to the memorable rainbow apple to the present blue Apple with a bite taken out.
- Apple converts new customers and secures their loyalty through a corporate emphasis on customer service.
- Apple seeks to attract its target market through bold public relations events (such as the MacWorld Expo) as well as advertising imagery which borrows from contemporary modern art.
- Apple has expanded its distribution channels in recent years including the addition of Wal Mart.
This case study has been compiled from information freely available from public sources. It is merely intended to be used for educational purposes only.