Digital Marketing Internal Audits
Where are we now? (internal perspective)
The starting point for any digital marketing planning is the internal audit. We are seeking to answer the question, where are we now? form an internal perspective. This is a consideration of internal resources and the effectiveness of our eBusiness based upon a number of factors, as such as those that follow:
- Labour (trained, motivated, retained) Men.
- Capital (investment/cash flow) Money.
- Equipment (servers/software/back up) Machinery.
- Time (project plans) Minutes.
- Raw materials or components (depends on your business) - Materials .
- Page views/sites/hits/page views/income.
- Trends/potential new customers
- Customers - e.g. how many are online? Are there new channel segments emerging?
- Competitors - who are they? What is their online proposition? How successful are they online?
- Distributors - are new, online, intermediaries emerging while old off-line distributors are being wiped out (disintermediation)? What are the potential channel conflicts?
- Current product market strategies of competitors I.e. audit with Ansoff's matrix.
You would also need to play close attention to your marketing audit. For example:
1.The Internal Marketing Environment.
What resources do we have at hand? (i.e. The FIVE 'M's):
- MEN (Labor/Labour).
- MONEY (Finances).
- MACHINERY (Equipment).
- MINUTES (Time).
- MATERIALS (Factors of Production).
- How is our marketing team organised?
- How efficient is our marketing team?
- How effective is our marketing team?
- How does our marketing team interface with other organisations and internal functions?
- How effective are we at Customer Relationship Management (CRM)?
- What is the state of our marketing planning process?
- Is our marketing planning information current and accurate?
- What is the current state of New Product Development? (Product)
- How profitable is our product portfolio? (Product)
- Are we pricing in the right way? (Price)
- How effective and efficient is distribution?(Place)
- Are we getting our marketing communications right? (Promotion)
- Do we have the right people facing our customers? (People)
- How effective are our customer facing processes? (Process)
- What is the state of our business's physical evidence? (Physical Evidence)